Monday, April 18, 2016

GOODBYES AND HELLOS


Hello, my dearest family! 


This week has been lovely...sad, but quite good!  The worst part was saying bye to my dearest Syster Stetler!  I miss her so much!  But then I got my new companion Syster Haikkola från Finland!  So, it has been a crazy but good week! 
Now for some quick stories..... 

*Success of the week: Getting over my fear of calling people on the phone. 

I already was not a fan of it in English, and then I really was not a fan of calling in Swedish-- but this week, I decided it had to be done!  So, I sat down for an hour and a half and called probably 50 people from off of our phone to try to find who was actually interested in learning more!  So, even though most people might think 49 people saying "no" is a bad thing, I was able to get over that fear, and we have one that might want to meet with us--so I would say that is pretty good! 
*Fail of the week: 

So Saturday night we met with the Elders at the Church to plan what we want to do this transfer, and then we made some dinner.  So, the meeting thankfully was not the fail--but more the dinner part.  

So, we decided to make this "healthy" pizza.  Basically, it was some kind of a sweet potato crust and a pile of a million different veggies on top.  The crust turned out all mushy, and the veggies slightly burned on the top...but I guess it really wasn't all that bad--it was actually pretty decent!
Later this week we went to one of our favorite family's house for dinner.  The first time I went to their house, I told the youngest son I was from Finland.  He LOVED me.  For 5 minutes.  Then he found out I actually wasn't, and he wasn't quite so fond of me after that... 

They then found out my new companion was from Finland--his family tells him this, and when we went over for dinner, he had hung up all of these characters he had drawn from a Finnish show, and he was just so excited to meet her!   He took Syster Haikkola by the hand and said, "I want you to sit by me!  That one can sit over there!"  
Yeah...guess who the "That one" was?  Yup!  So, I sadly didn't have the privilege of sitting by him.  So, next time you think you want to tell someone your from Finland, think twice. Because apparently people don't like you joking about being from Finland if you're not! 

Let's see...one of my favorite quotes from the week was from my cute little Haikkola.  She said, slightly worriedly, "You don't assume we're going to run a lot today, do you?"  No, probably not.  "Good, because this really is not a running skirt!"  Yeah.   Sadly, it WAS a day full of running!  We have been without our bus cards for 4 or 5 days, and so we have been running quite a lot!  But thankfully, we were able to fill up our cards finally!
But aside from that, not too much has been going on!  Life is crazy and fun!  Today we just went to Malmö and looked out on the beautiful sea!  We looked out and were able to see the tip of Denmark.  I just have to say--I LOVE Sweden.  It is so beautiful!  I just can never get enough of it! 
But now really quick to something I have been thinking a lot about lately...the Sacrament.

This morning I decided to study Elder Bednar's talk, "Always Retain a Remission of your Sins."  I absolutely love this one, and it has really changed the way I look at and think of the Sacrament.  He simply says:
"The ordinance of the Sacrament is a holy and repeated invitation to repent sincerely and to be renewed spiritually.  The act of partaking of the sacrament, in and of itself, does not remit sins.  But as we prepare conscientiously and participate in this holy ordinance with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then the promise is that we may always have the Spirit of the Lord to be with us.  And by the sanctifying power of the Holy Ghost as our constant companion, we can always retain a remission of our sins"
I thought that was just beautiful.  Just the concept of ALWAYS retaining a remission of our sins.  He later goes on to talk about how people sometimes ask if they can be baptized again so they can feel same wonderful clean feeling that they felt as they were baptized.  Elder Bednar said that we aren't just supposed to have that feeling once, but we can always have it, if we strive to always retain a remission of our sins!  
This really hit me, because I remember right after I was baptized, I thought that.  I thought, I just want to do it again--it just felt so good!  And I love that he addressed that and let us know that we don't just have to feel it once, but that our Loving Heavenly Father wishes for us all to experience it ALWAYS
Well, those were some of my thoughts this week.  Hopefully. I'll have a little more time next week, but for now I love you all...and have the loveliest of weeks! 

Med Kärlek, 

Syster Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment